Monday, June 27, 2011

Our story...

My sweet baby boy has finally arrived after much anticipation and prayer. We have been home for 2 days now but life has been so busy I haven't had time to update. I have been asked to post "Our story" so I will tell all about the days events. I will warn you... this may be long.

I went to the doctor on Wednesday June 22 and still was not dilating or progressing but was 40.3 weeks pregnant at that time. Dr Bates said he wanted to admit me to the hospital Wednesday night to start Cervadil with the hopes it would start progressing my body to dilate. Matt and I arrived at the hospital at 6:00p.m. and the cervidal was started around 8:00. I started having contractions that were every 2 and a half to 3 minutes around 10:30p.m. and that lasted all night. They weren't unbearable but definitely felt them. I did manage to get a couple hours of sleep. At 6:00a.m. my pitocin was started and my water broke on its own around 7:45a.m. When Dr. Bates came in to "check me" shortly after I still was not dilated but he said he would be back sometime early afternoon to check again. My contractions continued to get worse and I can honestly say it was not fun. But I kept telling myself I would meet my little boy soon and it would all be over. By the time Dr. Bates came back around 2:00 I could barely think straight I was in so much pain and he said I was only dilated to a 2 but would go ahead and order my epidural. Thank you Jesus for epidurals!! I gladly welcomed that "huge needle" if it meant not feeling anything! I finally got some rest but started developing a fever. When Dr. Bates came to see me around 7:30p.m. it was over 100 and I was only dilated to a 5. He said he was going to wait an hour and see what my fever did and come back to check on me. When he came back my fever was 101.7, Caden's heart rate had increased and I was still only dilated to a 5. I could tell he was concerned and he explained to me that my body was just not progressing like he'd hoped and he thought it would be in my best interest, and Caden's, to proceed with a c-section within the hour. Dr. Bates is a Godly man and someone I trust wholeheartedly so I said okay. I won't lie, I was scared to death but I knew God was in control and I knew I wanted to see my little boy.

This picture was taken right before they took me back to the OR. I was slightly terrified of what was about to happen.... and looking rough, but I had been in labor for 24 hours so, at that point, I did not care.



Once I was in the OR they explained to me what was going to happen and it seemed like it took forever to get everything prepped. But finally Matt was at my side telling me how much he loved me and being so supportive and encouraging. I didn't realize they had even started and before I knew it I heard my sweet little boy cry for the first time. And one of the doctors showed him to me from the side before they took him away to clean him up and Matt was right behind them. I had asked him to stay with Caden every second once he was here. I would be fine on my own but our little boy needed him. Before they took him to the nursery the sweet nurse took a picture of our sweet family.

I was finally taken back to my room to recover and Matt was still with Caden in the nursery. My mom came back to be with me so I didn't have to be alone and it was such a special time for us. I had been so scared and I know it was probably hard on her having to watch everything I had been through that day so it was good for us to have that time together. Then Dr. Bates came in and told me everything had gone so well and he even prayed with us and for our new family. What a great man! And finally after MUCH anticipation Matt brought our handsome son to me and I got to hold him for the first time. I immediately fell in love.
So we are finally home as a family of 3 and loving every minute of it. We are trying to get on some sort of a routine but I am enjoying every second of my sweet little guy. I just stare at him, in awe of how great God is and how lucky I am.

Our first family picture away from the hospital.


More to come but for now I have a baby to take care of..... :)

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this. So fun! He's SOOOO precious!! Hope to meet him soon!!

    ReplyDelete