Well after about a week of denial I must accept the fact that Caden is a colicky baby. And it breaks my heart. He is such a fun loving little guy during the day but around 6:00 every night the crying begins. His poor tummy is hurting so bad and we have tried everything to give our sweet guy some relief but so far nothing has helped. Occasionally if Matt or I sing to him long enough he will stop crying momentarily but usually not for long. My mom keeps telling me "this too shall pass" What a wise woman!! But it doesn't help the fact that he is hurting and I can't help. I am his mom... it's my job! But we will continue to endure this with him. It makes me cherish our sweet moments together and love on him even more when he cries.

In fun news, Caden is starting to smile at me! I just know it isn't gas anymore and it is an actual smile! And nothing makes my heart happier then seeing our little boy grin while I am talking to him. He has also started cooing and making sweet baby noises. This week we have ventured out everyday to run errands. And we just talk back and forth all the way to town! And by the time we get home he is absolutely pooped! He doesn't sleep when we are out. Maybe for a few minutes in the car, but once we get to where we are going he is wide awake and alert. He doesn't miss anything! So he has been taking 3-4 hour naps every afternoon and sleeping really well at night also! We've also had lots of visitors this week. Matt's best friend Sonny and his soon to be wife Mackenzie came by to meet Caden and then Matt's mom came by also to get her Caden fix. One night that my parents stopped by Caden was wide awake and Pop and Caden played for a little while before his bath. I can tell these 2 are going to become fast friends! I love watching these 2 interact with each other!

Have I mentioned lately that I love being a mommy?!? I feel very protective of my son, and rightfully so. I want to protect him from stressful environments and I want him to feel safe and secure all the time. So when people tell me to "just let him cry" Well... I just can't do that. I cannot sit and listen to my son wail. And in the past I have always been passive and people would run over me often. Matt has told me from the day we got together that I needed to be stronger and stand up for myself. Having Caden has definitely brought this out in me. Matt and I are solely responsible in the decisions for him and constantly pray for discretion and wisdom and I trust God to give me the patience, strength, and wisdom to make the right decisions for our little guy. He is the number 1 priority and Matt and I are the ones in charge!
Lauren doesn't "cry it out" either :)In fact, just reading those words made her squirm!
ReplyDeleteThere is NO WAY you can let a colicky baby cry it out! They would never stop because they are in pain! Ignore whoever is telling you that! But when you have reached your limit, its ok to let someone else take over for 30mins while you go outside, or run to town, just to clear your head! Dont ever be made to feel bad because you had to take a break! You will be able to deal with him more calmly if you arent super stressed! Dont let anyone else tell you what is best for you and him. They may can give you tips on what helped them, but most of the people who are going to tell you things like "cry it out" probably never had a colicky baby :)
ReplyDeleteOh by the way, I LOVE the look on Caden's face when hes looking at your dad!
ReplyDelete